About Me

My photo
I am an Interior Design major with an Art History focus who is traveling to the architecturally and historically rich city of Florence (Firenze) Italy for the Fall Semester to study any and everything. This blog will document my once-in-a-lifetime opportunity

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Back to school...Back to school...

Mom is back home, Fall Break is over and our schedule is back to normal again. Mom left on Tuesday early in the morning of this week...it's weird to think that she left less than a week ago. I swear that the weeks seem sooo long and then the weekends seem to fly by. 6 weeks from yesterday (Saturday) I will be getting on a plane in Rome and in 12 hours, I will be back in Cincinnati!

ANYWAY... I had 2 classes on Wednesday (Art History and Italian), then went to Aperitivo, as always (which was a great time seeing that the whole group hadn't really been together since before we all went our separate ways for Fall Break). Then, had the day off on Thursday (as usual) so I just took it easy and finished my sketching homework that I should have finished a long time ago. And then Friday, we had a make up class day for our Sketchbook class (which is usually on Mondays). We spent the class time in a small museum sketching a detail of a fresco. All the information on it was in Italian (they ran out of the English papers, so I didn't really get to figure out what it exactly was)

After Olivia and I got back from class on Friday, we decided that we wanted to go somewhere on Saturday, so we made plans (Sabrina included) to head to Cortona, Italy for the day. That was the best decision! Cortona is such an amazing hill town and probably is my most favorite place that we have visited since being here in Italy. It is hidden up amongst the hills...literally hidden in the morning. When we got there, we got off the train station and ended up in Camucia (which is the city at the bottom of the hill of Cortona)...and if ever there was a slow paced, quiet city...this is it. There is a bus that runs between the train station to the city center of Cortona, but when we got there, we learned that it wasn't coming back for another hour (it had really weird running times) and we didn't feel like spending the money (it would have been 10-12 euros) to call a taxi, so we decided to walk our way up to the city center...that was an adventure. Needless to say, after many weird looks from Italians driving, an elderly lady telling us that the way that we were going up was going to be longer and a steeper hill, and then a younger guy and his dog offering to give us a ride to the train station, we finally made it up to the city center 40 sweaty minutes later. It was worth the walk for the views though.


There are more pictures from the trip up on my Picasa, so just copy and paste the website at the end of the blog to check them out---they are DEFINITELY worth it! The trip was just a good choice regardless..and it only cost 7.30 euro one way for a train ticket!

Sunday (today) we went to the Fiorentina-Cheivo game (Chievo is Verona's "football"-soccer-team). We all met up outside one of our school buildings, and then walked 30-40 minutes to the other side of town to the stadium. We got lucky and that the rain decided to hold off on our walk there; once inside the stadium, it rained off and on during the game, but not as hard as it decided to rain the minute we began our walk back. We had managed to stay dry the ENTIRE day and then, of course, the heavens opened up and it began POURING...story of our lives. Needless to say, the front of my jeans were soaked and stuck to my legs; even my socks were wet. I even bought a jersey to wear (even though my guy didn't play today)

The game itself was exciting. I hadn't been to a soccer game in months, much less a "major league" game ever. We had pretty nice seats--6 rows up from the field. What was unfortunate about them was the fact that the field was surrounded by a glass partition (like the kinds they have at indoor fields, or around hockey rinks) that were lined with sponsor advertising, so it was a little hard to see their feet in front of us...oh well! It was exciting to be able to yell at the players and not have to worry about people looking at you funny. Whenever someone behind us would yell, we all wondered what they were yelling in Italian, but decided to join in with random hollers and sounds anyway! The exciting part was the fact that Fiorentina actually won!! They scored with 10 minutes left in the game--how lucky!! Going to this game just reassures the fact that one day, I will make it to the World Cup...I've always wanted to go, and this just made that more apparent!

This week coming up isn't too exciting--class Monday and Wednesday; I get to spend Tuesday researching and writing a paper for my Architecture class (there is a possibility that she is going to move my presentation up a week, and I'd rather have it done sooner than later--see, I'm not being a procrastinator (as much) Mom!!) BUT we are planning an exciting trip for this weekend. A couple of weeks back a friend of ours told us about this Sound of Music bus tour that you can take in Austria; it literally takes you to the sites in Salzburg that were used to film the music. HOW COOL!!!! SOOOOO, fastforward to now, and the 3 of us (Olivia, Sabrina and I) are planning a trip for Thursday-Saturday to go on the Sound of Music tour. We are SOOOO pumped it's not even funny! We will be travelling over night by train on Thursday, taking the tour on Friday, and potentially spending the rest of our time sightseeing in the city and then getting back sometime Saturday night/early Sunday morning. WOO HOO!!

Well, it's later than I wanted to stay up, seeing that I have to go to class in the morning...in the pouring down rain (which is what it is supposed to continually do until Thursday) and I should get some sleep.

Here is the link for the pictures (just copy and paste into the address bar):
http://picasaweb.google.com/113048706261520001448?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzIkMfhnvfy1gE

No comments: