About Me

My photo
I am an Interior Design major with an Art History focus who is traveling to the architecturally and historically rich city of Florence (Firenze) Italy for the Fall Semester to study any and everything. This blog will document my once-in-a-lifetime opportunity

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanks to ISA

ISA really has done alot for us...and have been such a great program to study abroad with. They have organized so many trips for us and have helped us in anyway possible; it's been so nice.

That being said, last Saturday was our last out-of-Florence day excursion with ISA; we went to Orvieto. Orvieto is a city and comune in southwestern Umbria, Italy situated on the flat summit of a large butte of volcanic tuff. The site of the city is among the most dramatic in Europe, rising above the almost-vertical faces of tuff cliffs that are completed by defensive walls built of the same stone. (thank you Wikipedia--it was rainy that day, so I was in a bit of a dreary fog all day, so I didn't remember much). But when we got off the train, we had to take a cable car up to the first level of the hill. There we spent some time at the bottom of the hill exploring the Fortress. Then, we had just missed the bus that takes you up to the city center, so we took the 10 minute walk up more like a tiny tiny hill (as opposed to the one that Sabrina, Olivia and I walked up in order to get to Cortona) Once up to the city center, our tour guide walked us around the city, took us to see the Duomo (we went in by ourselves during our free time...the black and white marble that is on the outside, is the exact same way on the inside---GORGEOUS!) and then went to the underground city of Orvieto. (To read about all of Orvieto, go here (they explain it better than I do!) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orvieto. The train ride home was HILARIOUS to say the least. 6 of us (Cat, Sabrina, Myself, Alexi, Alva and Kyle-friends we met here-all sat in a 6 person compartment on the 2 hour ride and played 20 questions. This 20 questions involved each person writing a person, character, show, monster, etc on a piece of paper and then passing it to another person. You then lick the paper and stick it on your forehead, allowing everyone but you to see your new "identity." You then go around in a circle, asking questions trying to figure out what your paper says. Mine that I got were The Mad Hatter, Pumba, and the Pope. It made the 2 hour trip fly by and much more enjoyable after a long, cold and rainy day.

This week in class, we didn't do much. I had a paper and presentation on Monday morning in my Architecture class on Brunelleschi's Reading Room in the Laurentian Library. Then I had another paper/presentation on Wednesday morning in my Art History class on the typical Florentine home in Renaissance times. They were all easy...the hardest part was for me to sit down and actually start writing the paper (that's what I detest the most)

Now the reason I started out my blog the way I did: Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because I get to experience family love twice in one day: Once with my second family, the Hoppers, and then later that day with all of my real family. It is just a great day overall. Everyone comes together to eat, laugh, share and just enjoy good company (Did I mention that the food isn't a bad addition as well! haha) So, for me to be 5.000 miles away and missing that was strange and made me a little homesick. But what was good was that I was able to give thanks for being able to spend the day with new friends in a beautiful (but cold) city that I have grown accustomed to these past 13 weeks. So the ISA staff knew that this was an important holiday us, so they arranged an Italian-ized American thanksgiving dinner in 3 courses. We started off with a glass of Champagne and a pumpkin/squash soup with bread. I'm not the biggest fan of pumpkin/squash so politely ate some of mine...and then switched my full bowl with Sabrina's empty bowl (she wanted it, so I wasn't going to let it go to waste). After that, they brought out the main course: THE TURKEY! It was oven roasted, with stuffing (not dressing). They wheeled the bird out, then took it back to the kitchen and carved it up, put it on a plate with the stuffing and more of a mashed potato puree. It was good none the less. Their attempt at traditional sides was a good one--cipolini onions, peas, and blueberry sauce (cranberries aren't a usual site here in Italy. It was so good--and cooked just right. Then for desert we had more of an apple tart than apple pie. I don't think that cinnamon is a common ingredient used here, so it was just sweet. I do miss the warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg when it comes to apple deserts. Also, ISA placed a thanksgiving poem and a keychain at everyone's place setting. It was just a good time.


After we finished eating, Sabrina and I made the way back to the apartment to Skype in to our family thanksgivings. She Skyped 60 of her relatives, where as I had to beg and plead Michael to get up off the couch for from his tryptophan-induced food coma and have him come to the kitchen to Skype. I miss that family so much its crazy. I am so thankful for the Hopper's and everything they have done for me and included me in these past 6 years. Then, I skyped with various members of my family as they arrived to my house for dinner. I miss them all so much and I know that this was a tough thanksgiving for us at home, since it was the first major holiday since my Mammaw passed away, But we are close and I know that we were thankful to all be there and able to celebrate with everyone. And congrats to my aunt Heather--showing me her bling bling engagement ring! I'm so excited for her :)

Today is Black Friday...and here it's more gray than black. Sabrina and I had planned on going to Venice today, but when the alarm went off at 7.30, 8.30 and then 9.30, we decided that we would rather go on Sunday, when we weren't as tired and dragging, and also there would be a lesser chance of rain. So today we are just taking it easy while Olivia spends this last day with her mom, dad and sister here in Florence. We might cook dinner for the 2 of us tonight and just have roomie day. She and Olivia are going to Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii tomorrow, so I think that I am going to finish catching up on readings and finish the last bits of Christmas shopping tomorrow...maybe even go and haggle my way to a good (but inexpensive) pair of leather boots :)

Until next time...Happy Thanksgiving, happy Black Friday and Happy Leftover-induced naps the rest of the weekend! I love and miss everyone at home, but will be home in...wait for it...3 WEEKS FROM TOMORROW!! I can't believe it...I will be sad to leave this new home, but I am beyond excited to come home and see everyone!!

Here are pictures from Orvieto and Thanksgiving!
Orvieto

Thanksgiving Dinner

No comments: